Thomas Stewart Hamblin

Born October 18, 1930 in Kanab, Kane County, Utah
Died September 15, 1969 in Kanab, Kane County, Utah
Married Darlos Robinson July 21,1950
Manti Temple
Manti, Sanpete County, Utah

My father, Thomas Stewart Hamblin was born on October 18, 1930. He was the son of Isaiah Stewart and Fay DeLong Hamblin of Kanab, Utah. In her account of his birth, his mother states:

I was awakened with the desire of someone in a hurry to come into this life and get things going. At six o'clock he awakened me, and his father was sent for Dear Grandmother Hamblin and she came as fast as possible and said "Fay, you can't be going to have this baby now. It's too early."

But it was time and by nine o'clock that morning with the help of Grandmother Hamblin and the doctor (I believe it was Dr. Noris) he was born. Ten minutes later he had his name:

Grandmother Hamblin looked at the calendar and said, "He is born on my Father's 77th birthday." and I said that was to his name, Thomas Stewart Hamblin and he was to be called Tommy just like his Great Grandfather.

Tommy was Fay and Isaiah's second child and second son. He was a joy, especially since his older brother had died only three weeks after his birth two years before. Although Fay would become pregnant several more times, Thomas Stewart was their only child to survive infancy.

The Following is an account written by Fay of Tommy's earliest years. Except for clarification, spelling and punctuation along are as found in her hand written account.

To be able to hold another son in my arms again was something a person can't describe, especially after having lost one when he was just three weeks old. Two years before.

To me Tommy was beautiful baby lots of black hair and brown eyes, he was the delight of his Father & I. And also his Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles. He didn't want for love and he always received it not only form his family but everyone he came in contact with.

Isaiah had come to town because of snow out on the mountain or lack of snow, I don't remember which, but we were able to love and enjoy him together. Grandmother Hamblin had the joy of bathing and keeping me clean for ten days and then she let me get out of bed and sat in the chair. I was so very weak.

About the 12th day, no Grandma came to bath the baby so I guessed she thought I should learn to fly on my own two wings. I was frightened he was so tiny and slippery and the clothes then we put on them were very much different. A belle band to hold the navel until the cord came off and it was a tricky thing, but I soon gained confidence and it wasn't anything but a labor of love. He was always bathed and put to sleep before anything else was done. I had the fun of holding him while I nursed him and as he would drift off to sleep. I'd lay him down and then hurry to get my work down, wash dishes, sweep the floors and take care of his clothes which was a special treat because they were his and I loved doing things for those I love.

His father was awfully good to take care and tend him when he was home. He didn't mind changing a dirty diaper or even washing them if I couldn't get it done. I don't' think we had a washer, just scrub on the scrubbing board and boil in the boiler.

As Tommy became a little older, he developed colic and it was always at night. He would sleep first on his father's stomach and then mine. We finally started to give him soda water and his Dad said, all we had to say, "get the soda water" and he would stop crying. It could have been true and maybe not but he overcame that phase of his life.

He slept with us because that was the thing to do and it should be for a few months in a new babies life, I guess I'll never forget my love and experience even after I was a big girl of crawling in bed with my mother and pinching her neck. Children need memories like tat to know that they were loved and still are.

I always rocked him to sleep and he always had a schedule to go to bed by even when he was older and other children were out side playing. He had to go to bed because I had to have some rest also so that way we were rested and ready for the next days happenings, which was many and very exciting in the eyes of a small boy.

At first I watched over him too close and I'm afraid he felt it and therefore never did sleep very long. Because of Val's death and the circumstances I had to check on Tommy every fifteen minutes. I believe he sensed my every mood and even tho he was just a baby, he would try to do better and more kind and loving. Isaiah, his Father, was gone quite a bit so it was my responsibility to train him the proper manner. I'd been trained in my home and I tried hard to keep up my traditions in being mannerly and kind and I tried to teach him to say please and thank you yes sir --not sir, yes mam or no mam and I'm not sure one parent can set all of the rules, regulations and good manners in a home. It has to be a two way street with each excepting the others wishes if they can't talk things out and come to a better solution. I'll not go into any of our problems because this is about Tommy and his life with us.

He had a hard time when he was tiny because our house was too cold to let him play on the floor, so he never learned to crawl. We got him a jumper borrowed from aunt Beth and he played in that very good as long as some one was with him. That was before he learned to walk alone. I thought it would be heaven because I'd walked miles a hold of his hands but when he did take off, It was a different matter. He was into everything. You know we lived in a one room house and the kitchen part held a lot of things for little hands to get into. I had to tie the lid on the flour can and anything else that he could open, but it wasn't long until the weather was warm and he could go out side but that brought up another problem because we lived on the main road, but I soon had him understanding how careful he must be and stay inside of the lot. There were no small children in our neighborhood for him to play with so he found a hole in the fence and started to go over to Judds. Oscar was three years older than him and they got along famous and going to Judds wasn't running away from home. The treated him as one of their own and he was always welcome, so I let him go.

One morning he got up and dressed which consisted of putting his overalls on. We went to check to see what all the laughing was about and he was sitting in the midst of the insides of deer that had been brought in the night before and the men were too tired and dirty to clean them up so there he sat and first he would pat the stomach of one and then the stomach of the others and was having the time of his life and as I think back he must have been just a year old and maybe he was still in his nightclothes. It was so sweet. I wish we had had cameras then like they do now. The Judds, their friends and Zare and I had a good laugh and I decided he was going to be a doctor. He had the background for such a calling, a Great Grandmother that was set apart four times to be a healer of the sick and the same gift of healing that the priesthood holds if no one was there with that gift. And many times she was asked by families to use her power of prayer and if it was God's will many were healed. He also had a Grandmother with that same gift and knowledge of God's leading light and the gifts to use it. She saved my life once because of her knowledge. But Tommy wasn't led to that gift, he was gifted with his hands but in a different way. He was a builder not only of building houses and many other things that go with building, he could draw his own plans. Do his own wiring, plumb in and many other things that wasn't even in the realm of life at that time. He built his family a swimming pool. The only one in town owned by a private family. I only wish his Grand Children could have a chance to use it before it's destroyed.

There was times when I felt that God had given us a chosen spirit. He was such a good child, when it came to mischief he had his share but he was always kind generous courteous and he was like his mother me. He always felt sorry for the one less fortunate than himself. And seemed to have the gift of being kind to older people and they all loved him. I've had so many tell me how much they thought of him and if they needed something done he would he would find a way to do it.

I don't know when we got out high chair for him it must have been one of his mother's families that had been kept for future use and I guess it was handed down to the next baby to come along. He never was able to get down on the floor to crawl like other children our house was too cold, but we did get a jumper from Beth that was DeMonts and he enjoyed that during the winter and then when the weather warmed up we hung it out under our big mulberry tree and he would sit there and sing and entertain himself but most of the time he had company, his Grandfather Hamblin spent much time with him and would play by the hour at their home in the evenings playing ball throwing it back and forth and Grandpa would say there it goes and there it is and those were the first words Tommy said. I can't remember when he didn't talk, he was a great child to ask questions and I would always try to answer but sometimes the answers were beyond my comprehension so I'd have to say wait until you are older or I'm smarter and that seemed to satisfy him.

He never had but one bump in his life because I was always so careful about leaving him alone in the house for a few minutes so I'd sit him on the floor or take him with me. His father and I had had words at the breakfast table and I didn't want Tommy to see me cry so I went outside and It wasn't long until I heard a crash and cry and there was Tommy on the floor and the chair tipped over and o f course he had stood up in the chair and over it went. His Father didn't have anything to say and that was the end of the fracas.

He was only punished twice by me, once he took a dime. To children now that would be nothing but to me it was all I had and needed it for something important. He didn't fib or tell a like, he said yes he took it. I don't know just what for something that was important to him at the time, so I told him he would have to help me with the dishes for ten days. It was some punishment, more for me than him. Then he took an egg from Aunt Ada Judd's barn and came bringing it home, so back we went with the egg and an apology and if he ever took anything except something I'll try to remember to tell about later on when he was older.

I was sick a lot the first part of my marriage and my memory isn't so keen as it should be. I nursed Tommy until he was about 18 months old and I rocked him to sleep until he was about three years old. I've never regretted one moment of those precious times with him. I'm glad I have no regrets. His Grandpa Hamblin told me one day, "I've never smelled Tommy when he smelled sour or held him when he was wet or had dirty pants on." My father in law thought I was a wonderful mother and wasn't afraid to praise me, and I'm thankful that he appreciated my love and joy at taking care of Tommy and keeping him clean.

We were very poor and didn't have too much to do with people. I never let that bother me. I could always find someway to make do with what I had. Tommy didn't have many clothes at first it was white clothes and then he got big enough for rompers. When Tommy got a little older I learned to sew good enough by then that I made him big boy shirts and they were first like a mans shirt not short sleeves long sleeves with all the buttons and buttonholes. The front was just like a mans and I was very proud of myself and my work and Tommy thought he was the greatest. I made him a black sateen one trimmed with red around the yoke sleeves and down the front. My brother William (Bill) wanted one just like it so I made him one and he never did get over his black sateen shirt trimmed in red and I guess if I could still sew I'd like to make one for all my great grandsons. Only I don't think they have black sateen now. I guess you can tell from your Grandmother's handwriting that I'm not very steady its awfully hard to write and spell so what you can't make out first guess.

We never did go anywhere in those days. There was no place to go and if there had been no money to go with. We did go to a movie once and took Tommy and he was so frightened of the crowd of the noise we left before it was over. That was the last try and we never did hire a baby sitter, could have left him with his grandparents but for some reason Isaiah didn't trust his baby not even to his own mother until he was older.

He had told me never to take Tommy to Panguitch in the winter so along toward spring Beth and Clarence were going over so I let myself be talked into it because I was very homesick and none of my family had seen Tommy that I can remember. They didn't have a car and were as poor as we were so you took a chance when you got it. When we got to Panguitch I had Tommy wrapped so warm that he didn't have a dry piece of clothing on him. It was good thing I'd taken along a change of clothes and my did my Father scold me, but didn't blame me. We were all so nervous about me bringing him, that I was glad to leave and know they were glad to have me go and get the baby home alright. There was o ill effects and I was glad I went.

The day Tommy was to be blessed I thought sure his Father would go with me. I never had a doubt, but as he was working out on the mountain and had to be back by the next morning so there was his good excuse. My how terrible I felt but Uncle Knapp Judd was the one to bless him and I know his good kindness and spiritual blessing was there healing my heart and starting Tommy on the right track. I'd wrapped him up again to warm and so as there not chance to change him he was blessed with wet clothing as though he had been baptized. I was glad to get him home and dried out. I was always over protecting him.

I used to go up to my sister Beths to wash. She had an old Maytag washer in a boarded up tent and we heated our water out side in tubs you can imagine what a washing we would have her five children and four grownups, but we got her done from dawn to dusk everything hung on the line. I believe I took mine home to hang out but can't remember, It was February 8th 1933 and we had done an awfully big wash the day before. I was pregnant, maybe I worked to hard or maybe it just wasn't to be. My baby was due in April and That was the 9th of Feb. But I lost our little girl Donna Fay she was a beautiful baby lots of black hair and curly. She looked like a little doll in her casket, that was all I got to see didn't even get to touch or hold her. Grave side Services and I have no idea of what was said or done other than that my Mother was with me.

Tommy was to stay with his Grandma and Grandpa Hamblin until I was well enough to take care of him. When that time came he didn't want anything to do with me. A sick mama in bed wasn't any good to him, so my heart was twice broken in a few days, but I soon got well and when I was up and could do things then he was my boy again and of course I still wanted to rock him to sleep.

We had got an old couch from my Folks and I don't know where we got a mattress but we had made room for the cot by pushing things closer together and a good clean bed was made for him but he didn't like the idea of sleeping alone so the first night was quit a hassle. The next night we went down to Grandpa and Grandma Hamblin's before going to bed and when we were ready to come home Tommy didn't want to come said he was going to sleep with his Grandpa. So we left him never believing he wouldn't follow us home and he did but not for sleeping but for his sleepers. It was getting real dark by then but the way he went and spent the night with them but that was the last of his rebellion. He slept in his own bed after that without any protest.

On the 22 of March (1933)I'd asked his father to make us a lawn that day but he went up town to be with the boys for a game of penny anty. He hadn't been gone more than a half hour maybe a little longer and I heard Harriet Judd call Fay come quick something has happened to tommy and of course I thought he had been hurt climbing on the wood pile that is where Harriet was. But I didn't go to help her I just went running and screaming to Dear Grandmother Hamblins. She took me by the hand and we ran back up to Judds but by then Harriet and Aunt Ada Judd had got him out of a tunnel the children had dug the day before and Tommy and Oscar was fighting over a little fire shovel and Tommy run down in the tunnel and Oscar said he jumped on the top and it caved in. Tommy fell on his stomach with the shovel and one arm under his face but the other arm was sticking out flat and it was God's will that no one came before she found that little arm and then her and Aunt Ada Judd dug until they found his body, face down. He was a very lucky boy and he maybe forgot about it as he grew older but for a long time he would talk about tell how his breathing sounded. Which was awful.

The Doctor said all that saved him was the sand was wet and he had the small pocket of air caused from the way he fell with his arm and the shovel giving him air space. But I know God wanted him to live. I don't think I would have stood losing another baby so soon. The blood vessels under his eyes around his mouth and his little face was so puffed up. I there will never be a more grateful and happy mother as I was. I would hardly let the doctor take him to make sure he wasn't injured. There were so many people came I guess my screaming and asking for help brought everyone within range of my voice.

The doctor was just leaving when Isaiah came in, I'll never forget my feelings towards him and the look on his face of what had nearly happened. The doctor told him I must be taken away for awhile so he took me to Panguitch to my Dear Father and Mother and the rest of the family. There was always room for one more and I think if it hadn't been for their love and attention I'd never have overcome the two shocks one on top of the other. I thank God always for having the family I came from and their love for each other. I don't remember if he (Isaiah) stayed in Panguitch with us or not but I was there quite a while and had gotten control of my feelings and Tommy never looked back. But I did many times: When Harriet's older children came home from their ranch that night, I guess the first thing they had to do was fill up the hole or tunnel and to never make another one. She and Aunt Ada had worked so hard that there wasn't a dry thread of clothing on them and their thoughts and anguish was that he had to be alive. My what a shout went up when he spoke and I was there to take him in my arms. I asked Harriet how come she went outside when Oscar cried and she said ti was just different so she went to the door and he said "I'm buried to my knees and Tommy is down under in the tunnel." And that was when she called for me.

That summer Merle Findlay gave Isaiah a chance to go herd sheep for him. He hadn't had a steady job for a long time, but Merle Findlay's brother had cheated us out of $350.00 a few years before and he knew how I felt about working for the Findlays so he told him he would have to see what I had to say. Mr. Findlay asked me to come to his home to talk so I went. We had quite a discussion on how Zare had been treated by many other people. He promised me I'd never have to ask for out pay that he would get it to me on time and that Tommy and I could go live in a house at their ranch and any food that we need we were welcome to into their pantry and get it so I agreed to give it a trial run. He came and picked Tommy and me up in his car, which was just as big a thrill for me as it was Tommy. Tommy never stopped talking and asking questions all the way up and Mr. Findlay even let him sit on his lap and pretended he was the driver. He won the heart of our employer just as he did the daughter and Mrs. Findlay. We had a wonderful time and imagine to my surprise to go into a pantry that was well stocked with supplies, to see things I'd never heard of before. I couldn't see a scarcity of anything, so we had plenty to eat (the very best as far as money goes).

Tommy and I would go out in the late afternoon with Isaiah to gather his sheep to gather for the night. Tommy would ride on his Father's shoulders and we spent many afternoons that way. I was awfully nervous because there were so many rattlesnakes up there. I was on the look out for them everywhere because they had been found in the house where we lived and also in the Findlay's. So I was always on the look out. One evening we went as usual and it was farther away and there was quite a steep hill to climb but we made it to the top and Zare could see that the sheep were quite badly scattered, he knew that it was too far for us to go so he said you won't be afraid going back alone will you? Just go back the way we came so I started out and when we got down the hill away there was an easier way to get around a tree so I took it and met a rattle snake in my path. I didn't get any closer just grabbed Tommy in my arms and run as fast as I could until we reached our house and was I ever glad to be safe with my son.

Right after that they transferred Zare into a sheep wagon to live because the sheep had to be moved so of course he had to be moved with them. It wasn't very far from Findlay's ranch but we did have a well stocked pantry and plenty of cold milk. We moved by an old house and as places like that are nice hiding places for snakes to wait for their dinners to com to them such as chipmunks squirrels, mice and I guess even rabbits so I had to keep close watch on Tommy and it was very hot no trees for shade, but we made the of it and if I remember right Mr. Findlay would bring us fresh milk and eggs and he would also take Tommy with him. I don't know where they went but somedays I'd get very upset but when I'd see the happy look on both their faces I'd smile too. I think he took him down to the ranch to see Maxine their daughter. She feel in love with him as every one did. Of course they'd have a treat for him cake, cookies. I believe they had ice cream once. But that phase of our summer came to an end and Tommy and I had to go back to Kanab because of a change in sheep grazing. I didn't have to ask for money. It was given to me and I'm not sure how long Zare worked but I do know we received our money and even with my outspoken way and telling the truth I gained friends and so did tommy. They didn't forget him and it was along time before he forgot them and the wonderful summer we had that year at the Findlays Deer Spring Ranch. It wasn't a pretty place, just hot, dust. The best place to be was inside out of the heat where Zare was able to be most of the time until they moved him into a sheep wagon.

I can't remember how long Zare stayed working for him but I went home to try and bottle fruit and vegetables and we were glad to get home even though it was hot there, we had a good old mulberry tree that was very large and shady so that is where we went to cool off. Judds weren't in town much that summer so Tommy had to find someone else close around to play with. He picked Clive Millett who was very nice little boy and he and Tommy got along famous together and I enjoyed his mother. I can just hear her happy laughter now. We were very good friends.

Of course I spent lots of time at my sister Beth's where there were plenty of children and they seemed to get along very well together. A few years later I can't remember but Tommy was maybe five years old he started a fire down in front of Grandpa Judd's barn and of course it was full of hay. I guess some of the children were with him. Some run for Clarence (Beth's husband) and some run for me and someone else grabbed the hose and the fire was all out that Tommy started but Clarence would have whipped him or something worse if Beth hadn't got there just as we did and that was when I knew just how that old green eyed monster can even turn grown man's feeling to hate for a little innocent boy. We never did find out for sure why the fire and for sure if Tommy was the guilty party. Beth and Clarence had lost their home, so they moved in part of Grandpa and Grandma Judd's house so I didn't spend as much time there as before, but we didn't let a day go by without seeing each other. I'd let Tommy go to the store which was just two building away from Beths, to get me some yeast to make bread or some other little thing that I thought he should be learning to do. I'd wait at Beth's while he was gone.

I never did mention before but we saved enough money to buy a baby buggy and I never did carry him anywhere. When he got to big to ride in the buggy, he'd say carry me Mama but I was always to tired. I couldn't lift him off the ground, so he would have to walk. Somedays it was a long process to get where we were going but I took my time and he took his and never seemed to mind. I never did him cry. My fake reason for not being able to carry him was never questioned. Of course there was reason, my back wasn't to strong and still isn't so I've always tried to protect myself in every way possible. I guess that was the only extravagant thing (buggy?) our son had in his life that other children didn't have just as his children were the only children in Kanab to have a swimming pool. He didn't have the money he just had the guts, motivation and ambition that it take to the many things he did in his short life.

As I said before, I was sick and awfully tired for most of the years of my early married life, but Tommy was never any bother to me or anyone else. But I did spend lots of time keeping track of where he was and the young and old alike were willing to keep track of him. One day he disappeared so fast that no one seen him leave. Claudia (Hamblin Fawcett) his aunt, Rita Kirby who had a missing girl and I started to locate them. I guess it wasn't very long but it seemed forever to me. We had been every where and didn't know what to do. Claudia had found them out by the city ditch. Dianna (Kirby) had lived there before so she wanted to go back but she had gone a little farther than she could remember. I was so happy to have out son home safe and sound that I loved him and shed a few tears along with caution and how dangerous it was for small children to run away like that. Always ask for permission and he never forgot to let me know where he was going after that. The other little girl got spanked and wasn't allowed to go outside again that day so that is the difference in punishment with love and without love each child should have.

I'm sure that Grandma wanted to write a great deal more about Dad's life. It's unfortunate that we are left to fill in the holes the best we can.

Related History
Related Maps
Related Photographs

My Family Tree
Linking Generations
Hamblin Link Page
The Scrap Book